The Marion Historic Association and Marion Town Board in conjunction with the William G. Pomeroy Foundation are pleased to announce the dedication of a historic marker on the location of the Newark-Marion Railway Depot on Buffalo Street in Marion. The Newark-Marion Railway was a nine-mile long passenger and freight spur connecting to the New York Central Railroad owned and operated by the members of the community for many years. The railroad came to life in 1900 and was owned and operated later by the Pennslyvania Railroad and Ontario Midland Railroad. This lifeline carried millions of pounds of produce, vinegar, ladders and other goods in and out of Marion contributing to the prosperity of the town. The depot building was demolished in 1995.
The William G. Pomeroy Foundation was established by Bill Pomeroy in 2005 with one of its main initiatives to help communities celebrate their history. To date, they have funded over 1200 roadside markers and plaques both in New York State and nationwide across all of their grant programs. Grants are available for National Register of Historic Places, women’s suffrage, the Erie Canal and legends and lore among others. For more information, their website is www.wgpfoundation.org.